> The origami folk in Melbourne had paper scored to make a record number of
paper tsuru for a beautiful display in central Melbourne a few years ago

True, we did score 8000 sheets, and it meant that Gen Hagiwara could fold
two cranes at once (top photo on this page
http://www.papercrane.org/index/Projects/95). So to be honest I think
scoring gives the folder an unfair advantage, and who wouldn't want that. I
mean let's be serious about this and imagine if origami were an Olympic
sport (e.g. TV Origami Champion). Who would have the advantage, the
pre-scored or the plain paper? It's clear that scoring would be the doping
of origami! The trick would be to have a scored sheet be undetectable.
Scans of the paper to show internal structure would be standard testing.

But I digress... I love scoring, I love using a laser or other tool to
score complex patterns and having perfectly reproducible results. Though
there is a downside, in laser scoring the paper is damaged slightly, and in
fabric pleating patterns the lifespan of the pattern is reduced. My
soon-to-be-published book 'Designer Origami' discusses 'Techno Origami' in
the opening chapter, fabric pattern making, as well as other aspects of
purism.

- Matthew Gardiner

--
Kind regards,