On 02/04/13 20.09, Robert J. Lang wrote:
Ken Yamamoto and Yoshihiro Yamazaki have analyzed the statistical properties
of crease patterns by me, Jason Ku, and Satoshi Kamiya in the Journal of the
Physical Society of Japan (free download):

http://jpsj.ipap.jp/link?JPSJ/82/044803

Spoiler alert: our CPs are not statistically the same as crumpling.

Whew! Glad we got that cleared up.

(Of course, I know there are many folders out there who would disagree with
that conclusion.)
Well, yes, following one of your more complex crease patterns, the first attempt(s) might very well turn out quite indistinguishable from crumbling ;-)

I do use crumbling in some origami works, but mainly as a means to change the properties of the paper before folding.

The empirical discovery of Yamamoto and Yamazaki that the "successive-folding process" leads to a lognormal behavior sounds plausible. Intuitively the number of cells is doubled - at least locally - with each fold?

Best regards,
    Hans

Hans Dybkjær
papirfoldning.dk