________________________________
 From: KAMI PAPERCRAFT WORKSHOPものづくり工房・紙 <kamipapercraftworks...@gmail.com>

     Clare wrote: I just hope not too many kids buy it/are given it, then
give up origami in disappointment -

     I think that it would be more helpful to encourage and advise authors
and publishers than to try to regulate them, or to wave off potential
readers.   Every book has some virtue, and every reader
has their own taste.
, the idea of endorsement is excellent, and would certainly
help beginners and enthusiasts alike in finding books they will enjoy.
.  I'm more moved by carrots than sticks.

------------------
 There is alot of what Andrew said to digest, and as an author has more
insight.
 I as a teacher, can and do suggest good beginner origami books that I like,
and are available.
I also highly recommend starting with reading page one - even if you think you
understand,
as each author does things a bit differently (the only consensus is the -----
for valley )
http://www.langorigami.com/diagramming/diagramming.php  Lot of good information
in this link.so the neat finished fold on the cover, is probably the last one
in the book,
and builds upon previously mastered folds, so for beginners, it is NOT  the
fold to start with.
Personally I don't care of kits of anything.  I want to learn and understand,
and not be constrained,
that said, some origami kits are good, and the for instance, play money
included is handy.
As a parent and even now more as a grandparent, who buys and gives books as
gifts,
 the Caldecott and Newbery stickers mean I don't have to know about the book to
know it will be good.
I have two books on the desk ready to give to grandson for his birthday
tomorrow. He'll be
six, so they deal with vehicles, and are not origami.  However, his 11 year old
brother, folded
a note to me, and as I didn't recognize the fold, and his reply, "it was in the
origami book you gave me",

One thing about lumping things together, what's with the Owl Origami charms all
over e-bay
when I am looking for paper and or books?

The big box bookstores wonder why they are losing business?  I don't want to go
through four shelves of
paper crafts to find an origami book.  And if they have more than half a dozen,
there is only one of each
title.  (this has nothing to do with what we are talking about, but it IS a
peeve of me)

While my husband was in the hospital all last week, my granddaughter brought
each of us a magazine.  Mine was
on paper crafts, with very little origami, and the Masu box was messed up.  Two
diagrams were identical, but the verbal
steps were different, so the correct one did not match the proper number.  Then
for the, what I call helping creases,
the maneuver is so tiny the diagonal folds can be missed.  There is so much
white space on the page, and still they began
with the paper already blintzed.  Then to make the lid, it said to cut the
paper 5% larger!!  Talk about making an easy box
difficult to do, and hence tend to turn people off of origami.

Back to wrapping the two books on how and why planes and ships work, and to get
out a couple of duplicate origami books to go with a packet of paper for a
silent auction on Friday.  Yes, every book has a virtue, even if it is not to
purchase from this author again.

Kathy Knapp