I spotted this announcement on the SciArt list. I'm assured that anyone
interested would be welcome. So I'm cross-posting to lists in history of
the book and in origami.

Wishing I could make it to the lecture myself, and the Smithsonian Natural
History Museum is always worth a visit.

Karen

recently published: Karen Reeds, "Impossible Plants," essay for Weird, Wild
& Wonderful: The Second New York Botanical Garden Triennial Exhibition,
Curated by the American Society of Botanical Artists (Bronx NY: New York
Botanical Garden and American Society of Botanical Artists, 2014), 8-11.
karenmre...@gmail.com

======
GNSI - DC: The History of Pop-Up and Movable Books Sept 16th
http://www.gnsi.org/event/meeting/gnsi-dc-history-pop-and-movable-books-sept-16th

Event Date:
September 16, 2014 - 5:30pm - 8:00pm
Pop-up book fans, please join us for a GNSI-DC meeting on September 16th for
a fascinating presentation about how these books got their beginnings, how
they have evolved over time and their use today:

EVENT DATE: Tuesday, September 16, 2014; 5:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.

PRESENTATION: The History of Pop-Up and Movable Books

This 50-minute slide presentation begins with the development of movable
page formats within early Renaissance science texts that employ the
"volvelle" (a paper wheel chart constructed with rotating concentric disks)
and lift-up flap mechanisms. Movable illustrations from astronomical,
navigational, mathematical and medical books will be shown. The
presentation will also include a discussion of children's pop-up books from
the 19th and 20th centuries, along with examples of current commercial and
artist-made dimensional books. The lecture includes discussions of
die-cutting and hand-assembly processes used in the modern manufacture of
pop-up books.

Carol Barton is a book artist, curator, and teacher. She has taught at
elementary, high school, and university levels, and has conducted adult
workshops at art centers across the United States. She is on the faculty at
the University of the Arts in Philadelphia and the Corcoran College of Art
and Design. Her most recent books, The Pocket Paper Engineer, Volumes 1, 2,
and 3 are how-to guides to making pop-up cards and pages. Visit her web
site for more information: http://www.popularkinetics.com

LOCATION:
Smithsonian Natural History Museum
10th St. & Constitution Ave., Washington, DC.
Cooper Room (2nd Floor, East Wing)

Wait for an escort in the Constitution Avenue lobby between 5:30 and 6:15
p.m. (about every 15 minutes)

EVENING'S SCHEDULE:
-- 5:30 p.m. for snacks and socializing (Please bring a food item to share,
or $3.00 for the donation jar.)
-- 6:00 p.m. Business and announcements
-- 6:10 p.m. Presentation begins. We will check for late stragglers at the
Constitution Avenue entrance every 15 minutes until 6:15.

PARKING:
If you would like to park in the museum lot, email Alice Tangerini (
tangeri...@si.edu) with your name. The security at the museum has been
increased and you will need to be on Alice's list to park at or after 5:00
p.m.