On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 12:36 PM, Ricardo Borges <origami...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Origami from Angelfish to Zen" Peter Engel
>
> Excelent content about origami history!!!

Not exactly. Peter Engel's book is a fascinating read, and full of
interesting ideas about the psychology of creativity, patterns in nature,
etc. But as I think Peter will readily admit, much of the historical
information is based on sources that turned out to be inaccurate. And
that's not really his fault-- there was a lot of misinformation floating
around, often from sources that seemed reliable, and not much hard evidence
was known or publicly available.

Earlier in this thread, Laura Rozenberg commented that "information that is
found online is often full of 'non-checked' data". IMHO, the history
sections of most origami books demonstrate that this phenomenon is by no
means restricted to the internet ;)

If you want good recent research, here's some things to look for:

Koshiro Hatori had a really good article in the 5OSME proceedings titled "A
History of Origami in the East and West before Interfusion".

Joan Sallas' book "Gefaltete Schoenheit" (2010) is a fantastic historical
account, especially of the napkin-folding tradition in central Europe
before 1800, but it's in German. However, much of this material is
summarized in "The Beauty of the Fold: A Conversation with Joan Sallas"
(2012) edited by Charlotte Birnbaum.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Beauty-Fold-Conversation-Sallas/dp/1934105988

Also, if you're an OrigamiUSA member, I wrote an article for The Fold a
couple years ago which incorporates many ideas from these two authors'
research:

https://origamiusa.org/thefold/article/origami-history-yoshizawa

-- Andrew
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahudson