Hi, folders   3/21/2015

A member of the Princeton Public Library Origami Group, Maria G. Pisano,
(Maria once gave us a wonderful session on folding booklets ) is exhibiting
some of her work as book artist in a show at Lafayette College. At least
one of her works on view, Vita Defuncta (
http://mariagpisano.com/?page_id=174), uses origami techniques, she told me.

I've copied the announcement below. There are more images of Maria's work
on the website for her studio and Memory Press (in Plainsboro NJ):  MGP
Studio Arts www.mariagpisano.com
(Kids will especially like her *Snake* book
http://mariagpisano.com/?page_id=523 )

Karen

> *Crossing the Delaware: New Jersey Women of the Book at Lafayette College.*
> *Exhibit: February 1 -June 30, 2015*Skillman Library, Lafayette College,
> Easton, PA. Curated by Diane Shaw, Director of Special Collections and
> Pam Murray.
>      Selected works of four New Jersey women artists-MaryAnn Miller, Liz
> Mitchell, Maria G. Pisano, and Maryann Riker-are featured in a special
> invitational exhibit this spring in Skillman Library. On display are over
> fifty striking artists' books and other works on paper created by these
> four accomplished artists. Although at first glance it may be difficult to
> find a common thread among the rich array of materials and formats that
> appear in these works, it is their storytelling that acts as the unifying
> element among all four artists. They all tell deeply felt stories about
> past and present histories-both personal and collective.
>      The work of MaryAnn Miller is inspired by her love of literature and
> reading the daily news. Her intensely realized works often tell stories
> about the treatment of women, ranging from the effects of war to the
> abandonment of a daughter in a convent. She also recounts how coal played a
> part in her family history. Liz Mitchell shares her memories and
> experiences through her art.  She draws source materials from personal
> history, current events, dreams and myths. Several of her works are based
> on her dreams recorded in journals over a span of years. Her interest in
> fairytales inspired her retelling of the Grimm Brothers story of the twelve
> dancing princesses. Maria Pisano explores the nature of time, memory, and
> history. Her works record the complex layers of experiences whether she is
> telling a story of her own personal journey or remembering the collective
> trauma and loss experienced by a nation in a single day. Maryann Riker
> collects everyday ephemera-buttons, vintage advertisements, old
> photographs, ribbons, lace, jewelry-and creates colorful, whimsical books
> that suggest lighthearted stories, but that invariably convey thoughtful
> messages about gender, race, and consumerism.
>      The work of MaryAnn Miller is inspired by her love of literature and
> reading the daily news. Her intensely realized works often tell stories
> about the treatment of women, ranging from the effects of war to the
> abandonment of a daughter in a convent. She also recounts how coal played a
> part in her family history. Liz Mitchell shares her memories and
> experiences through her art.  She draws source materials from personal
> history, current events, dreams and myths. Several of her works are based
> on her dreams recorded in journals over a span of years. Her interest in
> fairytales inspired her retelling of the Grimm Brothers story of the twelve
> dancing princesses. Maria Pisano explores the nature of time, memory, and
> history. Her works record the complex layers of experiences whether she is
> [...]
Karen Reeds, co-ringleader, Princeton Public Library Origami Group.
Affiliate of Origami USA, http://origamiusa.org/
We usually meet 2nd Wednesday of the month, 6:30-8pm, 3rd floor. Free!
We provide paper! All welcome! (Kids under 8, please bring a grown-up.)
Princeton Public Library info:  609.924.9529
http://princetonlibrary.org
Next meeting:
Wednesday, April 8, 2015, 6:30-8PM