There is also the practice of Onmyōdō in Japan which uses paper and involves spirits called shikigami, where a spirit (or kami) is captured or put into servitude of a practitioner and can be kept in or >manifested through a paper manikin. I wouldn't be surprised if this practice came about through word-play. It isn't really related to origami as we know it, but presumably that would make for an interesting >concept for a supernatural animation series using modern origami designs.-Joseph White

David Lister's Paper and Religio* n in Japan. may be of interest.
Additionally one may consider the meditative quality than emerges when
folding. Often folks fold many of the same model;  the repetitive, rhythmic
physical expression can be likened  that of repetitive chant/prayer/dances
in spiritual practices.
* http://www.britishorigami.info/academic/lister/religion.php

Other relative Lister articles:
magic - http://www.britishorigami.info/academic/lister/history.php