Thus spake "Jorge E. Jaramillo" <odrau...@gmail.com> on 9/24/15 5:04 PM:

>There is something that I haven't been able to make up my mind about and
>it
>is, does a traditional masu box use dry tension? If it does it's not the
>most common dry tension we see on works like for example Philip Shen's
>models, since the layers do not overlap completely. On the other hand,
>more
>than one layer occupy the same area and they produce a 3D shape, so it
>most
>be dry tension.

Assuming that you're talking about this design,

https://origamiusa.org/diagrams/box

since this can be folded without incorporating any unrelieved tension (or
compression), I would not consider it to be an example of dry tension.

The last sentence above seems to suggest that "more than one layer in the
same area" + "produces a 3D shape" are the criteria for dry tension
folding. Admittedly, I can't think of any dry tension models that are
*not* 3D, but there are certainly lots of tension-less models that
definitely are 3D. And I would guess that the vast majority of origami
figures have "more than one layer in the same area" somewhere in their
design, so that's not especially narrowing.

If one folded the masu without sharp folds at the four vertical edges, so
that the sides were smoothly curved around the corners, then I *would*
consider that to be a dry tension fold; the stresses would reside in the
curved layers. But once you create sharp 90° folds at the four vertical
edges, that relieves the stresses, hence no "dry tension," IMHO.

Robert