Thanks everyone for your input!
Robert I'd love to see one of those foam-board boxes this June in NYC.
Humidity is definitely an issue here in this studio space. I think because the floor is concrete it seems to let a lot of moisture into the air. Thanks for that tip Mark. Wiring and/or gluing, acid free paper etc. are definitely necessary for long living origami works. I'm interested to try using varnish too to seal out moisture. Following the lead of artists like Sipho Mabona or Joseph Wu, I'm very interested in exploring the limits of complex origami folded with as thick as possible paper, to make origami sculptures more permanent and potentially, (maybe), more attractive to the eye of the viewer. This of course is limiting in regard to possibly foldable subjects for single square origami (insects are probably out of the question, for example). But considering all options, pros and cons, this kind of work is the most exciting and potentially rewarding for me at this time. Interestingly, when I first started making my own origami and extending up until just recently, I had the exact opposite opinion of what kind of origami was most appealing. Following the lead of the origamists I most admired, (like Robert Lang, Michael Lafosse, KAMIYA Satoshi, Brian chan), I wanted to use the thinnest paper possible. But after being frustrated with how my models from just a few years ago are so hard to take care of, I've taken a complete 180 degree turn.
Keep folding, Seth
www.friedmanorigami.com