Hi
Gerardo said: "Angel Ecija has many different action models that
include non-folding-materials that are in order to work: "Spinning
Top" uses a toothpick so you can make it spin, "Pinwheel" needs a
thumbtack and a stick in order to spin as well, "Crossbow" uses string
to shoot its quarrels, and "Kite" uses string also but so you can make
it glide."

Ángel Écija is a great creator and not only has action models but also
many more.
He has been in the world of origami since he was 8 and he has been
creating models more than 30 years.
He is not very fond of the social networks and usually he not takes
the bothering to answer when some site criticized his work as in the
case here or some web steals their model, etc…
Having said that, I would like to make two observations. First, you
need only to remember the history of Origami to see that everything
was more permissible. The principle of “not cutting, not stiking to
only fold” is relatively new, from second half of S. XX, and for it we
adapted the size and type of paper. Besides that, he's certainly not
the only one that uses a little stick to move the windlass blades. The
list would be too long  and include many others like Tomoko Fuse,
Jeremy Shafer, Leyla Torres…
But even then, the second and more importantly, the figure always is
folded  so I believe it is not important if one adds a ballpoint pen,
pencil or a wood to rotate it. I do not mind about the material it is
made figure folded paper, plastic, metal ...

Best regard

Inmaculada Lora
.
--
"Cuando las manos están ocupadas, el corazón está en paz"
Akira Yoshizawa