[Note from your list admin: I am forwarding this for Yahoo user
kskn...@sbcglobal.net, please reply to the list or to the original author,
not to me.]

On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 11:09 AM, Gerardo @neorigami.com <
gera...@neorigami.com> wrote:

> What are your thoughts regarding the use of this other materials in
origami
> models? I ask because I have this hypothesis that creating models that
> include non-folding-materials is mostly frowned upon by the origami
> community. Am I right?

Personally, adding 'things' to make the fold more interesting, or to move,
I have no problem in doing so.  Perhaps, because I teach, and most often to
children, making it fun is a way to get them hooked.

Two folds I was taught while in grade school by someone coming into the
classroom of 50 students, before the word origami was used,  were the
German Star and the German Bell.  The German Star (also called Moravian
Star or Swedish Star) is far from a square piece of paper, but rather 4
each with a ratio of 1:25.  The finished folded star is then finished by
dipping into molten wax and applying glitter to the wet wax. I'm not a
glitter person, but the star looks 'dead' without it. Thankfully, there is
now micro glitter in many colors.  The other fold I first learned, the
German Bell, requires that four letter word g**e to keep it together.  As
an adult, when I learned the crane, low and below, it was an epiphany for
me to discover the CP for the crane and the German Bell were the same.

Crayons or googlie eyes, or other mentioned items used to complete the
fold, folding was done to make the item.  It's origami to begin with.

Do you always eat your piece of bread plain, or maybe add butter or jelly,
or cinnamon sugar, or toast it - it is still bread underneath.  Bread that
just has been enhanced.

Kathy Knapp

kskn...@sbcglobal.net
Kathy Knapp
1014 N Parkside Dr.
Peoria, Illinois, USA
Do well your part today. - Juliette Gordon Low