On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 3:05 PM, Edmund Liang <edmund...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey guys, I'm Edmund Liang, a new subscriber to this origami mailing list.
> Shout-out to Robert J. Lang for introducing me to this mailing list a few
> days ago.
>
> I designed a new model, an Origami Nargacuga, a monster from the game
> series Monster Hunter. I uploaded pictures of it as well as a crease
> pattern to my twitter:
> https://twitter.com/liang_edmund/status/894338266421272576.
> Feel free to follow me to see some other origami models!
>
> I've also heard of people copyrighting their models, And I'm thinking about
> doing that as well. Would copyrighting the model and the crease pattern
> count as 2 different works? If I uploaded an image of the model on Twitter,
> does it count as it being published? Also, because my model is of a video
> game character, I would have to exclude it in the Limitation of Claims area
> right?
>

> That's all for now, but I'd love to hear your opinions on the model and
> I'll be looking forward to your replies!

Hi Edmund,

If you live in the USA, anything you put into a fixed form will
automatically have copyright protection; you don't need to register the
copyright until you want to take legal action against someone infringing on
your work.

Videogame characters are frequently protected as trademarks, which function
differently from copyrights, so you might want to read up about that.
http://www.ivanhoffman.com/characters.html

--Andrew Hudson
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahudson
http://ahudsonorigami.wordpress.com/