> Laura R asks:

That explains my instinctive rejection to Golden Venture modeling. However,
> why is that kusudama and other modular construction like the so-called wire
> frames are so well and widely accepted amongst origami paperfolders
> -orthodox paperfolders included ;) ?

and Diana lee mentions :

> Yes, and what about the origami which are made with very few folds but
> with a lot of molding to give expression to the model.  Are those not
> origami because the piece relies on something that is not valley & mountain
> folds?  See works of Giang Ding
> Diana

The answer to that is, the units for kusudama are generally folded for that
particular form and interfolded to ctrate locking when necessary.  Golden
venture units are just stacked vertically exactly like Lego and just like
Lego, they are also unidirectional units which are stacked one way and not
interfolded or locked in any way.
Kusudama on the other hand, involves lot more origami techniques, folds and
geometry to achieve the desired result. Even though the end result is
constructed by connecting the pieces with locking folds, the final shape is
more defined and structured than the freeform brick layering in Golden
venture construction.

As for the free form origami like Giang Dinh, the final product is a result
of paper shaped with one or more folds. It is still Origami with non
geometric and non sharp folds. In the myriad of geometrically folded
origami, we need to remember that, technically, when a paper changes the
direction or a leaves the plane, it is a fold. It does not matter how sharp
or smooth the change is. With that in mind, the free form shaping is still
origami as long it produces the result just by folding, without cutting or
gluing.

Having said that, I also enjoy golden Venture “origami” and so does my
nephew who received a 3D ‘Minion’ from me on his Birthday.

Sunil Dhavalikar

> --
Sunil Dhavalikar
(215) 718-5818