By "developing," I have in mind countries that are maybe not as wealthy or are fairly newly industrialized, but whose conditions might be prohibitive to casual tourists looking for a beach vacation or something that's conventional. I like the idea of walking more than a few feet without encountering a McDonald's.

By restrictions, I mean places that perhaps are now "open enough" for people to visit but are volatile with respect to how long they may be open. When Iran was called Persia, pre-1935, it was a lot more accessible, but then over time it became more restricted.

The overall idea is to go places that most people don't, meet people you wouldn't normally encounter, and experience life in a place where few like you have gone. And do origami.