As a now retired public librarian from a Midwestern fairly large urban
library system, I have helped write Code of Conducts and have banned people
from all the library facilities on my own authority for periods up to three
months.  Longer periods of banishment had to be determined by the library
administration.

Centerfold has not wanted to write a Code of Conduct, feeling it was
unnecessary in a smaller venue.  Unfortunately, now that the issue has been
brought up, it has become necessary.  People are now aware of the lack of a CoC
and feel unsafe, or at least unsettled, that there is not one.  Perceptions are
important, and this won’t go away.

A CoC does not mean that the convention would suddenly become safe.  Incidents
occur.  What a CoC does, however, is make victims feel that their complaints
will be taken seriously and that there will not be any retaliation for
reporting an incident — and that help can be obtained and problems will be
solved and worked on.  It protects organizers from being accused of ignoring
potential problems or discriminating against an individual.   It also serves to
tell attendees that there will be consequences for unacceptable behavior.

CoC for Centerfold and a form to take reports of incidents.  I said the easiest
route with only two months before the convention would be to adopt OUSA’s CoC
for this convention, and I assumed an Ohio specific CoC could be written later,
but I have since learned that Ohio does not want to use OUSA’s CoC.  That is
fine.  There are many examples to choose from and other people can do that.

What I can uniquely provide is a standard reporting form, and if desired, some
quick remedial training in using unbiased language in filling out such forms.
If this convention does end up being held, a better form more adapted to the
convention can be developed later.  I can also make suggestions as to varying
levels of consequences, but others will be more qualified to do that than me.

I hope this offer is taken seriously.  Other people have also made offers to
help and mediate, but it seems to have reached a point people are not capable
of actually hearing what is being said.

Carol Martinson

Sent from my iPad