My current thoughts on the enumerated list is if there is a sound legal reason
not to include one, ok.

But I do feel there is significant value in having one simply because I believe
some (hopefully many) occurrences or offense are unintended. So where can there
be one? With the overall goal of avoiding conflicts to eliminate the number of
reports made here is one idea.

The enumerated list could go on an “Awareness” document. The points made would
not be randomly chosen. What if a closed, anonymous poll (like the one Origami
USA recently sent out to gauge the comfort level of people to attend their fall
convention given the pandemic) could be sent only to people who have attended a
particular past convention? This could be done by any organization who chose to
do so so the results would be local to what is customary in a particular area.
Because regions may be comprised of different cultures and traditions what may
be an issue at one convention may not be at another. This is taking a more
nuanced approach rather than trying to create a blanket, one-size-fits-all
solution.

Another (I think) signficant positive of allowing the community to determine
what the results are (based on their past experiences) is it will bring them
closer together because they’ll have jointly made the determinations of what
matters most to them as a whole.

I strongly encourage the use of an anonymous poll. Compiling the results will
be the most time consuming part of an effort like this but I think it would
only need to be done once and could be modified year by year based on if any
complaints different from those listed are made. By keeping the poll anonymous
it unburdens the organizer(s) of having to respond to replies but still allows
people to be heard.

With a timeline, such as at least 5 days to respond including at least one
weekend day for those who work M-F, the entire process could be implemented
quite quickly.

 It could ask three questions:

1. Were there any moments during your convention experience that you would
define as harassment that didn’t warrant contacting the police? Please list and
describe them below:

1. Were there any moments during your convention experience that you would
define as discrimination that didn’t warrant contacting the police? Please list
and describe them below:

3. Did you experience any incident that did warrant contacting the police but
you chose not to? Please describe only as much of the incident as you feel
comfortable.

Please note I did not suggest a yes-or-no, check this box from an enumerated
list of examples as the way to implement this simply because if you ask people
to describe their experiences the results will more accurately depict how
things happened and the degree to which it impacted the person.

Answers could be complied and the most common incidents could be posted as the
top 5 or 10 things to be aware have made fellow attendees enjoy their
convention experiences less in the past.

Several of the examples I gave in my “Focus" post could umbrella under
“Touching.” After each point a suggestion or suggestions can be made to
eliminate the issue. I.E. How can you know when it’s ok to touch someone? Ask
them. Handshakes and hugs with someone you’ve just met should be instantaneous.
Don’t maintain your embrace or grip too long, especially after the other person
has relaxed theirs. Both should occur on middle ground meaning do not pull the
other person towards you. Other than greetings it’s best to refrain from
touching or placing your hands on anyone you don’t know well until you’re
certain doing so will not be misunderstood as anything other than the friendly
gesture you intended it to be.

I will point out that advice would not only benefit people at the convention
but in life in general to avoid unintended faux pas particularly in business
settings.

I would like to believe any event organizer, origami or otherwise, would want
to know the answers to these questions if for no other reason to improve the
event experience for all. Maybe they receive 5 replies. Maybe they receive 150.
The organization would decide how long their list would be but I’d recommend no
more than 10 points.

I am not a lawyer nor do I have any experience whatsoever in any of this. But I
think such a document would not carry the same legal implications adding them
to a CoC would. So in brief: Would making an enumerated list from results of an
anonymous community poll and adding at the end something about “these were not
the only forms of interactions that caused fellow attendees to feel
uncomfortable, they were the most common reasons" be helpful? Closing with
something like: We are hoping the awareness of these interactions being
misunderstood will help guide you to more positive ways of interacting with
others so that everyone can relax, have fun, and enjoy their weekend.

Stacie Tamaki