> On Dec 21, 2021, at 8:06 AM, Larry Finch <finc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 21, 2021 at 8:40 AM Laura R <lauraroz...@gmail.com
> <mailto:lauraroz...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> NASA is preparing to launch the Webb telescope out to space. It will let us
> know how all started:
> https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/20/science/webb-telescope-astronomy.html?smid=em-share
>
> <https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/20/science/webb-telescope-astronomy.html?smid=em-share>
>
> There is a “folding” part. This sounds like there is a lot of origami here.
> Can anyone elaborate more?
>
> Dr. Lang was involved in the design of the James Webb telescope, and has
> written about it and created videos about it, as well as a TED talk. Here is
> just one of the many articles that you can find with a web search:
> https://www.wired.com/2008/01/the-origami-tel/
> <https://www.wired.com/2008/01/the-origami-tel/>

Ah, no, he wasn’t involved in JWST (though he does talk about it in his TED
talk as an example of folding in space, ending with “they didn’t need an
origami artist for a telescope with only two folds in it”).

The two space-based telescopic projects I was involved in were the Eyeglass (a
project from LLNL, not NASA), which is either halted or classified (or both);
and NASA StarShade, which is definitely continuing in development, and there’s
some cool videos on the internet of its deployment testing.

(Well, there’s a bit more, but I can’t talk publicly about that yet. 😉)

Robert