Karen Reeds wrote:

> I spotted these lovely examples of cut-paper Woven Hearts  in an antiquarian
> bookdealer's announcement:
>https://www.pickering-chatto.com/PC/Images/Puzzle_Hearts.jpg

Hi Karen

A date of 1830 seems a little early for these hearts. The one on the lower
left, commonly known as the Woven Heart, is said to be a discovery of Hans
Christian Andersen. What is said to be the earliest surviving example is
preserved in the Hans Christian Andersen Museum in Odense, Denmark. See, for
instance, http://hjemmesider.diku.dk/~torbenm/hearts.pdf. I have not been able
to verify this information.

The one on the right is an example of what I call Cut and Fold Chevron Designs
- see https://www.origamiheaven.com/historyofthechevrontrellisandcross.htm -
and the earliest evidence I otherwise have of this type of design is from 1863.

If the date is genuine it clearly takes the origin of these designs back a few
decades. However the evidence of the photo, which appears to only shows part of
the writing on the envelope, seems inconclusive. Presumably the bio you quote
came from a catalogue? If so I wonder f you could please share the link to that?

Dave