Yes! I've been using scrapbook paper for origami since at least 2005, and
probably before that. I can't remember a time when I wasn't using it for
boxes (Masu at least) and simple letterfolds or gift enclosures or card
envelopes.

1)  In my experience (in the USA), scrapbook paper comes in weights that I
refer to as:
a) letterpaper wt;
b)  light cardstock;
c) medium cardstock;
d) heavy cardstock;
e) medium or heavy cardstock that is heavily coated, sometimes with foil or
flocking, making it prone to breaking when folded and therefore unsuitable
for folding. Also,
f) I have also occasionally found duo scrapbook paper, but it is usually
closer to the wt of the heavy cardstock, but not always. I have used that
for boxes, but it is more prone to cracking when folded. One time (I never
saw this again, anywhere) I found a big box (100 sheets, I think) of
12"x12" patterned, duo craft paper, at Costco. It was thin enough for
relatively simple models, but the colors were dark and muddy. I used it for
boxes mostly, and teaching

--- The medium-to-heavy cardstock can be folded but it won't take much
creasing or multi-layer folding without breaking.

--- The light cardstock is suitable for models that don't require many
layers of folding. I often use it for gift boxes (Masu, Box-in-a-Box, Robin
Glynn's Gift Box...) It's also good for bowls, vases, etc, again not for
many-layered models.

--- The letterpaper-weight scrapbook paper, as I said before, is just a tad
heavier than the 20lb letterpaper I use for my printer. My guess is that
it's probably 24lb wt. Besides the 8.5x11" size, it also is available in
12" square pads, 8" square pads, and 6" square pads. I've seen it in 4"x6"
pads also, but that is unusual. I can't recall ever finding it in a pad of
all solid colors (maybe the smaller ones), always patterns (seasonal,
holiday, floral, animals, etc, ad infinitum) and white on the back, BUT
these pads usually include the occasional solid-color sheet in between the
patterned ones, and sometimes there are quite a few of these. I pull these
out to use for teaching. Many of the patterns are not "busy" patterns,
sometimes they are watercolor patterns, for example, which are perfectly
suitable for learning. The 12" squares are perfect for teaching in
situations where you have to be in front of a classroom, makes your model
easier to see.

--- I have long prized the 8.5x11" letterpaper wt papers as they tend to
not be extremely commonly available. I used to buy several at a time, at
Michael's, when they were on sale, and I have a good stash of them still.
Good thing, too, since Michael's stopped carrying Origami paper and they
don't carry nearly as much scrapbook paper as they used to. Joanns also
used to carry it. You can find these papers in this size in other craft
stores or online stores. Hanko (hankodesigns.com), for example, sells
pretty patterned paper in this size, but it's pricey.

--- As to accuracy of the size of the paper, I find that the square
scrapbook papers are often/usually not exactly square. I don't worry about
the exactness of the dimensions so much as the "squareness". I rarely fold
very complicated models or notably "unforgiving" models, so this has not
been much problem for me. The letterpaper scrapbook papers (for me this is
8.5x11") are close enough to the printer paper size that I've never worried
about this. I run them thru my printer and they never seem to be too big or
too small.

--- I use these letterpaper scrapbook papers for anything I would fold from
regular printer paper. The 8.5x11" ones are obviously nice for envelopes &
letterfolds. I also cut them to 8.5" squares and use them for boxes or
anything for which I want a larger square and/or a slightly heavier paper
(heavier than Kami, but not hugely so). When I teach the Masu or Rogin
Glynn's Box, for example, I often give 8.5" square scrapbook paper to use,
as it is larger and slightly heavier than Kami, and patterned; it just
seems like the perfect paper for things like that.

--- In my experience, when scrapbook paper is suggested for learning a
model, they probably mean the letterpaper-weight scrapbook paper.

--- The one caveat to keep in mind with scrapbook papers is that they tend
to be unlabeled or sometimes mislabeled as to weight. Very frustrating, but
such is life. I only buy these online if I know the brand and am therefore
pretty sure I know what I'm getting. Best is to buy in-person and open the
package if you have to, and feel the paper, so you know what you are
buying. I have many times seen packages labeled "paper", that were actually
light cardstock. Not so much the reverse. And packages of light, medium,
and heavy cardstock are often all labeled just "cardstock".

... Best! from Chila
I think, therefore I fold,
I fold, therefore I am.
Folding for Fun in No. Arizona USA ///