We are using hSQL + Orion in server mode as follows:

1) snip from data-source.xml
note the line url="jdbc:HypersonicSQL:hsql://jaguar" which is the hsql
"server mode" jdbc url

        <data-source
                name="Default data-source"
                class="com.evermind.sql.ConnectionDataSource"
                location="jdbc/DefaultDS"
                pooled-location="jdbc/DefaultPooledDS"
                xa-location="jdbc/xa/DefaultXADS"
                ejb-location="jdbc/DefaultEJBDS"
                url="jdbc:HypersonicSQL:hsql://jaguar"
                connection-driver="org.hsql.jdbcDriver"
                username="sa"
                password=""
                schema="database-schemas/hypersonic.xml"
        />

b) start hsql using "java -cp \orion\lib\hSql.jar org.hsql.Server"

Works fine & you can connect to the hsql server using the hSql DataBase
manager concurrently with orion also to see what is being stored.

Kind Regards

Neville Burnell
Business Manager Software