Some variant of this has got to be one of the top five questions asked
on this list, and it has never been answered.  I really, really, really
need a simple answer:

How do I assign security roles to "guest"?  Is it even possible?

No matter what I put in the various principals.xml files (and believe
me, I've tried just about everything) I can't seem to allow the
unauthenticated user to call an EJB method.  It's driving me insane.  My
girlfriend tells me that while sleeping I thrash about mumbilng
"com.evermind.server.rmi.OrionRemoteException: guest is not allowed to
call this EJB method..."  I'm not by nature a violent person, but if I
ever meet this "guest", I'm going to reach out and throttle him :-)

I have a reasonably straightforward system which represents users as
entity beans and allows anyone to connect to the system and create an
account.  Thus, there must be a moment in time when the user must
interact with the EJB system to create the entity bean *before* he or
she can be logged in.  I want to grant "guest" access to a single method
on a single session bean.  Why can't I seem to do this?  I can't imagine
that this pattern has not been implemented a bazillion times already.

I was able to get everything working before by commenting all
security-related material out of my EJBs' deployment descriptors (thus
leaving the system wide open).  Now I'm ready to put security back into
the system, but the web-application <runAs> tag doesn't seem to be
implemented yet.  So I want to give a limited security role to "guest".
Heeeeeeelp!

Thanks,
Jeff Schnitzer