I used Interbase about four years ago in a production environment.  It used
to be a commercial product distributed by Inprise(Borland at the time)
before they open sourced it.  It is a very good relational database product.
It has most of the features you would expect from a commercial product.

The only negative that I have against Interbase, is it's lack of clustering
support.  It has what they refer to as a shadow that should the machine go
down, you can get a second server up and running right away.

It has a JDBC driver called InterClient.  I have had success with this
driver except for one quirk.  Everynight at midnight, the InterClient
service would error and stop receiving requests.  they might have fixed this
problem with their latest version.

I don't have any info on online back ups.

My experience has been with the Windows NT environment.  Interbase has been
cross platform for many years though.  Another thing to consider in the
Linux environment, is a journaling file system such as ReiserFS.  I am not
sure what would happen to your database file if the power suddenly went out
or the computer shut down unexpectedly while the database was writing to the
file.

-Jason