At 11:44 PM 11/3/00 +0100, Robert Krueger wrote:
>At 11:23 03.11.00 , you wrote:
>>I have looked through the 2.0 spec and find the chapters regarding CMP to
>>be daunting.  It appears as though the complexity of writing my own SQL in
>>BMP has to be balanced against learning an entire new way of managin
>>persistence within the XML deployment descriptors which seems to be no less
>>or perhaps even more complicated than BMP????
>>
>>Or am I missing something with regard to CMP being easier?
>
>yes, two things:
>
>1. your code including the queries is guaranteed to be portable between ejb
>servers and databases (that's the theory)
>2. you cannot possibly make optimizations using BMP that the container can
>make using CMP
>
>why do you have to use ejb2.0 CMP? you didn't mention 1.1 cmp as an
>alternative?

Hmmm.....  I can find even less regarding 1.1 CMP.  I have the ORielly book
as well as the Mastering EJB books.  The 2.0 spec is what I'm using because
I would think (perhaps wrongly) that EJB 2.0 would maybe be easier and or
offer more functionality???  Chapters 9 and 10 are over 100 pages which
have to do with CMP.  The last thing I need to do is learn another query
language which is what some of the 2.0 spec seemed to indicate I would need
to do....

I also understand points 1 and 2 above but they do not address my original
question of the relative complexity between BMP and CMP.  Basically 1 and 2
are irrelevant to me if I can not implement CMP and can not practically
compare the relative complexity between the two because I just don't
understand CMP so I will keep digging through examples and utilize the post
that has been helpful that somebody posted earlier today :
http://www.execpc.com/~gopalan/java/entity.html .

Thanks,

Cory