<DISCLAIMER>I have extensively searched the list archives and the sun jsp forum first</DISCLAIMER>
Hi,

We have set up a number of Jsp error pages specific to each of the custom exceptions that we throw.
I am unable to get the custom error pages to work.
When my error jsp pages try to access the implicit exception object, the following error appears in the browser:

Recursive error in error-page calling for /error/JspException.jsp, see the application log for details.
Even with the standard jspexception it doesnt work.

The tag handler throws this jspException
-------------------------------
  throw new JspException("" + thisTagName + "]The object XXXXX is null." );
-------------------------------

In the web.xml, I have the following:
  -------------------------------
 <error-page>
  <error-code>500</error-code>
  <exception-type>javax.servlet.jsp.JspException</exception-type>
  <location>/error/JspException.jsp</location>
 </error-page>
  -------------------------------

The error page appears if I take out any reference to the implicit exception object.
But as soon as I put any reference to it in, it breask with the error shown above.

This is a basic version of the jsp. It fails beacuse of the exception.toString()
-------------------------------
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<%@ page isErrorPage="true" %>
<%@ page import="ilaunch.exception.*", javax.servlet.jsp.*, javax.servlet.* %></HEAD>
<BODY bgcolor="white">
<H2>JspException</H2>

<%= exception.toString() %>
</BODY>
</HTML>
-------------------------------

I have never been able to access the exception object from the jsp error page.
Is it just me, or is it a feature of Orion. I am tempted to test my .ear file on another app server, but I dont have the time.

The mapping within the web.xml file seems to work ok.

If I can't resolve this at all, I'll have to revert to inserting attributes into the request object, which is hardly elegant.

Any assistance with this would be very gratefully appreciated.

Grant Doran
Principal Architect
iLaunch inc.
(02) 89207947