I'm not a complete app-server 'Ludite' (sp?) but I do find it quite informative
putting together
applications by hand and I believe that you can obtain valuable experience in not only
J2ee but
the appserver as well. I've pressed gui buttons on the RI, EA Server, and WebLogic -
and yes it is
easy but not very informative as to the underlying structure. For me, anyway, to get
the most out
of Orion, I've had to do things like, oh, read the various specs, etc. Very valuable.
Even more so
if you NEED to read them!

Anyway - I am sure that the Orion GUI tools will be much more mature as time passes
and we can all
happily press buttons...

Cheers