From: Aaron Tavistock [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2001 12:11 PM
To: Orion-Interest
Subject: RE: Performance problems (More Info).

JVM Settings -- My normal settings are "-server -Xincgc -Xms128m -Xmx384m".
I've tried playing around with different JVM options including turning off
server, using normal gc, running in interpreted mode, running in classic
mode, et al.  I even tried running under JDK1.2.2.  While these definately
effect performance in dramatic ways, none seems to fix this problem.

Garbage Collection -- I tried watching the heap by turning on verbosegc, and
the pauses do not appear to be timed with a full gc.  So thats not it
either, definately a good thought though...

DB Server -- The DB server itself is performing fine, CPU and memory
utilization is low.  The database is completely accessable via sqlplus or an
alternative app while these pauses occur.

Connection Pooling vs Orions DataSource Manager --  Interestingly the
problem seems to go away when I turn off Orions datasources, and run with a
third party ConnectionPool manager (such as BitMechanic).    While this
fixes my immediate problem it will prevent me from using Orion as an EJB
container, which is not good.