Not sure, but I don't believe Access is designed for transactions in particular.
Regardless,
though, try SAP DB (www.sapdb.org) for Windows 2K - it is a solid, transaction
supporting,
commercial grade free database with a type 4 JDBC driver. My consultancy does ETL and
enterprise
data strategies - lots of people and companies, large and small, like to keep mission
critical
data in Access databases because it is easy to use. It causes more trouble than its
worth in the
long run. So my advice is: use one of the free databases for your development purposes
(And
production, too!). Get a copy of SQL Server if you want to use a MS product that
supports
transactions well.