There is very simple solution to this problem - make ORION server embedded.
I use it. That's it.

        -----Original Message-----
        From:   Marcelo Schroeder [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
        Sent:   ? 06 ???? 2001 7:57
        To:     Orion-Interest
        Subject:        INTERESTING FOR DEVELOPMENT TIME: Central location
for classes and still able to use hot deployment

        I think this is something that a lot of people in the list would
like to have:

        A central location for java classes in "production" or "live" mode
(located in a network drive for instance) and and classes in "development"
mode, so when a class doesn't exist in the development location, Orion would
pick them up from the production/live location, and that with Orion still
being able to "hot-deploy" for EJBs, servlets and helper classes shared by
both ejbs and servlets.

        OK, I "almost" got there... I will share my success and also ask for
some help to complete the puzzle:

        Classpath/classloader issue:
        1) My ejbs and helper classes go in the "ejb" section. Hot
deployment is triggered by "touching" orion-application.xml. Since the ejb
classloader takes precedence over the servlet classloader, classes loaded
here can be "accessed" by the servlet classloader and the "auto" reload
feature can still be used by touching orion-application.xml.
        2) Servlets and servlet specific beans go in the "web" section.

        Central location for production/live classes
        1) Servlets: by using the <classpath> element in the orion-web.xml
file it is possible to make Orion search for classes first in your
development directory and if it doesn't find them there, then it searches in
the production/live directory. Example:

        <classpath path=" file:///C:/proj1/developmentclasses
<file:///C:/proj1/developmentclasses> "/>
        <classpath path=" file://///fileserver/proj1/productionclasses
<file://///fileserver/proj1/productionclasses> "/>

        Instead of directories (where you would the expanded classes) you
could also point to jar files.
        This solution works fine and the hot deployment still works also
fine.

        2) EJBs: this is my problem, I was not able to find a way to have
the same classpath set up I have for servlets and get the hot deployment to
work. You can use the <library> tag in the same way as the solution for
servlets above, but you lose the hot deployment feature.

        So, my question is: is there a way to set the classpath for EJBs
(first local classes, then production/live classes) and still be able to use
ejb hot-deployment?

        Any contribution will be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

        Marcelo Schroeder
        RecruitASP Pty Ltd - Sydney, Australia
        Tel: +61 (0)2 8437 6311
        Fax: +61 (0)2 8437 6399
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        http://www.recruitasp.com.au <http://www.recruitasp.com.au/>

          _____

        RecruitASP Pty Ltd E-mail Confidentiality Notice

        Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this
message. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or
responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or
deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this
message and kindly notify the sender by reply email as soon as possible.
relate to the official business of RecruitASP Pty Ltd shall be understood as
being neither given nor endorsed by RecruitASP Pty Ltd.

          _____