The following is from spec 2.3:

SRV.2.2 Number of Instances
For a servlet not implementing SingleThreadModel and
not hosted in a distributed
environment (the default), the servlet container must
use only one instance per serv-let
declaration. A servlet declaration is part of the
deployment descriptor of the web
application containing the servlet, as described in
Chapter SRV.13, “Deployment
Descriptor”