all inline.

The browser chaches it. Read RFC 1945 (HTTP 1.0), section 11. Here are some
quotes:

<Section 11>
   The domain over which credentials can be automatically applied by a
   user agent is determined by the protection space. If a prior request
   has been authorized, the same credentials may be reused for all other
   requests within that protection space for a period of time determined
   by the authentication scheme, parameters, and/or user preference.
   Unless otherwise defined by the authentication scheme, a single
   protection space cannot extend outside the scope of its server.
</Section 11>

So, with BASIC Auth, regardless if the server challenges the user
_everytime_ for its username
and password, given a realm, the browser sends its authentication. This goes
back to the time where the was no session support on web servers(it was 4 or
5 years ago, not THAT long). Instead of asking the user for its username and
password everytime, the browser caches a successful user/passwd pair and
resends them
(provided the challenge comes from the same 'realm'). This is 'legacy'
behavior of the browser. And the spec
accepts it.

> I could have run my client through a logging proxy to
> tattle-tail whether
> the container was issuing an HTTP challenge on every get/post or not??

Of course, check for WWW-Authenticate; if the server challenges every time,
then it should be a part of the response. This is, however, unlikely-- orion
must be reading the headers, and reauthenticating the user every
time, regardless of challenges.

> Given that I bounced my client and deleted cookies/cache I'm still
> mystified about HTTP challenge issues???   Regardless I've moved on to
> FORM authentication and folks on this list find value in the
> current HTTP
> challenge behavior for their development cycle not pestering them for
> re-login....  :-/

Yap, and that's the main use I given to BASIC, it speeds up the devel cycle,
no matter how many times you restart the server.