Loadbalancer.jar will fail a session over to a second Orion, if it can't open a
successful session within several seconds to the first (sticky) Orion. Works
great, but you have that single point of failure.

I'm experimenting with the MS Network Load Balancer (it comes in Win2K AS) and
the main issue I have seen is that it will peg a session to a single Orion/web
server. The only way it will fail over is if that server (hardware) or the MS
NLB software goes down. It does not monitor the servers/services that it pushes
to. The MS solution is to run a third party monitoring program to monitor that
back end program and then manually, or thru a script, drop the node from the
NLB cluster.

I'm thinking that Load Director does some type of monitoring. I know some of
the other hardware type devices do. The LinuxHA setups all have monitoring
(look at linuxDirector) as an integrated part of the load balancer.

I'm more of a unix/linux guy, but those are not options where I am, right now.
The MS NLB does not cost us anything and it clusters up to 32 nodes. It has
worked great so far, other than the monitoring gotchas. In our case, we have
had to hit Apache as a proxy and then onto Orion so that we can segregate the
multicast traffic - NT routing still is not quite unix/linux routing.

If the Cisco does some type of monitoring to notice a failed Orion node, you
should be able to cluster 2+ nodes behind the Load Director.

Good luck,
Bob

From: "Curt Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>@orionserver.com on 11/16/2001 11:01
      PM EST

Please respond to "Orion-Interest" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]