Actually the Postgres driver does support blobs in a number of ways. The
7.1 driver supports BLOBs using OIDs (a postgres specific measure) and
the latest driver from CVS (due out with 7.2 shortly) supports bytea
datatypes (which is a long byte array up to 1 gig in size) which is much
nicer than an OID.

The problem is indeed Orion not setting autocommit=false which is needed
by the Postgres driver.

However the overhead involved in using a CMP bean with a large object is
not a good idea IMHO, I'd create a simple session bean which persists
your large object via JDBC and retrives it again.

-mike