Further to what Mike has said, I'll just give you a little update on the
  status of the Log4j 1.2 release.

The 1.2 code base is largely different to the 1.1 base, and has features
that when finished, will be useful for using in application servers, and
make it a lot easier to configure.

The features that I talk about are:

- Different LogManagers.
This will allow Orion to provide a logmanager *per application*, or if
it can't find one, use the default logmanager.  This means that you will
be able to specify a configuration file per application, and not have to
manually configure it.

- Configuration files will be reloaded
The "watchers" code is being rewritten.  When it is finished, you will
most likely have code that allows you to configure how often the config
files are reloaded (and stop / restart the watcher thread).

So what does this mean for you, if you are using log4j in your
application now?

- Use the 1.2 code.  Although in alpha, it is quite stable.
- If you have specific requirements (apart from the above two), suggest
them on the log4j email list, or email me with your suggestions.

Lastly - congratulations on using log4j.  Logging is very important in
enterprise applications!

Cheers,
Scott

--