This would work great except that you cannot 'force' a container to bring up
the login page (portably).

UserManager doesn't help you because it too is an Orion specific API (just
like RoleManager)

About the only way to do portable user
management/authentication/authorisation is with an open source project
called OSUser (part of OpenSymphony which I participate in). See
http://www.opensymphony.com/osuser for details. I currently have an
application porting well (single EAR) between JBoss and Orion, and
Weblogic/Pramati/JRun support are almost done. It also supports Resin (if
you just want WARs).

Check it out anyway,

Cheers,
Mike