Dear Rochelle,

We agree, I think, that "Essenes" came from Hebrew. You set up a way to
pick one only root. I already critiqued that method and showed many other
specific relevant known terms with shortened forms/implied objects. It is
interesting that "hoseh" has an O--oh, eek. For the rest, as to what is and
isn't an actual quote and what a fair description, since we have both given
ioudaios addresses, anyone can read all of both our posts on the matter,
and, if anyone wishes, henceforth refer, e.g.,  to Menahem the non-Jewish
Buddhist Essene.

Dear Greg,

It is not possble in one post to answer all your questions-- some of which
I have answered before (and if I already responded, is repetition called
for?). And, sadly, these questions as you framed them skew the issues. Here
I can only scratch the surface. Perhaps forgive me if I remember a citation
incorrectly.

"Agnostics" *by definition* do not deny or affirm the matter at hand!
Therefore they are quite out of place here (except for rhetorical effect
perhaps?) in your first of 2 sections. Florentino G-M, if I recall
correctly, wrote of two groups of Essenes, not one Essene and one
anti-Essene. Though I do not subscribe to the Groningen view, I much
appreciate FGM's work, and no way consider him properly represented here by
you. Also I agree with FGM that MMT is not about "precepts" but
"deeds/observances"--significant, since it's about 'asah. S. Talmon is
indeed a fine, senior, distinguished scholar and gentleman--hopefully we
agree (consensus; cf. Society of Friends, pro-consensus?--properly called
Quakers also?). His views have changed. We have had a few conversations;
not recently. If I recall correctly, years ago he added to Essene ID in
HTR. Later (Notre Dame conf. maybe +) he wrote--more or less-- that it's
better to call them New Covenanters and postpone Essene question till all
data is published. Later (?) in Hengel Festschrift he offered reasons to
doubt Q-Essene link. The latter I discussed in detail, already, on orion,
disagreeing with each item.  I offered two categories (Broshi offered 3;
partly incommensurate ones but well worth considering--can you see examples
for each?). You reduced my second category quote and also even reduced it
further to merely "etc." Not helpful! My two categories are not the only
possible categories. Here's a third: sensational journalism to sell weekly
tabloids which I see at grocery stores. I can think of others.

Here, briefly, I have shown the faulty and misleading framing of questions
in your section one.
Your section 2, Greg, if anything, is even more complexly problematic, and
asks me to respond according to your assumptions and method preferences,
even telling me what I cannot say (e.g., no Epiphanius alowed)!  I have
made some notes or starters, but perhaps I should stick with this brief
take on section one for now, to see if this dialogue appears worth pursuing.

Dear Russell,

By the way, not that it should matter much, I have often spelled consensus
concensus, and OED has some hints or that "mix up."

best,
Stephen Goranson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

For private reply, e-mail to goranson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>