Stephen,
    Your attempt to correlate NT language about "doers of the law" with your
theories on Essene deriving from 'oseh ha-torah is probably more nuanced than
my posting suggested. In the interests of accuracy I will certanly read the
materials you cited.  For now, I will simply state that I don't find the
language of Torah observance in Epiphanius or the NT particularly striking.
Perhaps if you explained, in answer to Greg's query, exactly how the
materials you've collected differ remarkably from similar language applied to
Pharisees, etc., it would help.  Does it all hinge on the noun form "doers"
as opposed to "doing"?  Have you been as exhaustive in scouring all languages
and literature through the centuries for similar phrasing applied to
Pharisees, e.g., as Essenes?  If you have, that would be of interest.
    My own doubts as to your etymology center first of all on the Qumran
evidence, where in most cases the phrase 'oseh ha-torah is in an adjective
phrase ("the community council who do the law", "the simple of Judah who do
the law", etc.) and are not a primary designation for the elect.  One
exception, 1QpHab 8.1, "all who do the law in the House of Judah", just seems
like another one of these endless permutations.
    What I find most significant is the formula does not appear in 1QS, which
is the only Qumran text with significant correlations with the Essenes of
Josephus (apart from 4QS parallels and certain sections of CD which show
knowledge of 1QS).  Rather, 1QS prefers the phrasing, "volunteers for the
law" (also seen at 1 Macc. 2:42 describing the Hasidim).  It seems to me that
an argument on the etymology of Essene should rest on the one Qumran text
with Essene affinities.
    Rather, most (all?) occurrences of the phrase "doers of the law" come out
the pesherim, which mention the Teacher of Righteousness (and other figures
unknown to 1QS).  The Teacher of Righteousness in turn has certain halachahic
materials promulgated in his name in CD 20.27-34, which Schiffman especially
has been shown to have Sadducee affinities (along with other halachic Qumran
texts).  So your data appears to come out of Qumran materials with Sadducee
rather than Essene affinities.  To me this rules out the etymology; but
perhaps you are of the old school that still views the Qumran corpus as one
homogenous whole.

    Best regards,
    Russell Gmirkin

For private reply, e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]