Stephen,

    Despite our differences on other matters, I think we are in basic
agreement that Pliny's reference to En Gedi as a heap of ashes comes from a
source dating to Herod the Great (as Pliny's adjacent reference to Masada was
anachronistic for his own day, Masada having been destroyed in the Jewish
War).  Pliny's other references to sites adjacent to the Dead Sea --
Callirhoe's medinical waters (where Herod bathed), Machereus (which Herod
rebuilt after Gabinius destroyed it) and Masada (whic Herod repaired) -- are
also appropriate to this period (the Callirhoe reference being most
appropriate to Herod's last days).  The difficult one is En Gedi, whose
destruction is not as far as I know referred to in literary sources.
    Way back in August '99 you wrote, "The evidence that I have produced...
includes archaeology of Ein Gedi destructions and rebuildings, recognition
that destruction of Ein Gedi referred to is circa 40 BC not circa 68 AD..."
    Would you care to share your archaeological sources as well as any
information or speculation you have on the circumstances of En Gedi's
destruction?

    Thanks in advance,
    Russell Gmirkin
For private reply, e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]