> [snip] Now we have a newer analysis which wants to relate the name
> with the Hasmonean general, Peitholaus, depending on the yod/waw confusion
known
> >from other Qumran texts.

Pitholaos was an Idumaean officer (a literally 'Son of Benjamin'/'Man of
Violence'), who first served under A.Gabinius' magister equitum M. Antonius
and later - a political turn of 180 degrees - under Aristobulos; finally he
was, in absence of the royal family, commander-in-chief of the rebels.

Dierk

For private reply, e-mail to "Dierk van den Berg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>