SInce Liueberman diosucees essenes in terms of voluntary assoications like
the bekiey or nekiey hadaat grouops who would not eat with others outside
of their group and the haver would not share with the am haaretz why do
you think the analogy is best held to gentiles who could noit enter
certain parts of the Temple but could certainly ofer sacrifices.
I did rerasd your article and there is merit in some of the things you say
but I do not see why it must be that essens treated otgher Jews as
non-jews, ther practises you mention held for various associations-- btw--
the term haver-- really dos work for association, and in antiquity as
other times-- voluntary associations were commonplace.

herb basser
For private reply, e-mail to Herbert Basser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>