TO THE ORION PANEL ON PROPHECY

Dierk van den Berg's comment is very interesting. Also
Barbara Leger's. However, I consider that prophecy, as
it appears in the Tanakh diverts a bit from our common
understood term.

According to what I have found, prophecy seems more a
kind of "decree" from the wise men (prophets of
Israel) that those following the Law were to
"enforce", rather than a true vision of the future
that was actually going to be self fulfiled.

When Essenes rejected macabbees and went to Qumram
after their expectant return around 160BCE they appear
to be "enforcing" Isaiah's "command" in the Community
Rule:  "They shall be separated from the midst of the
gatherings of the men of wrongs to go to the
wilderness to prepare there the way of the Lord, as it
is written: In the wilderness prepare the way of the
Lord; make straight in the desert a high way for God.
This is the study of the Law, as he commanded them
through Moses to do all that has been revealed from
age to age, and, by his Holy Spirit, as the prophets
revealed". Part of these words would be echoed in
Christian literature throught John the Baptist two
centuries later, which shows a common practice within
Jewish.

I have found frequent instances of the Jewish people
pressing themselves and their context for some
prophecy to be fulfiled with a seemingly constant
bottom line:  "...and they (did this and that) ...so
the prophecy may be fulfiled".

This seems to me an usual deliberate attempt to make
events FIT into the prophecies; a peculiar nature of
prophecy within Law radicals (Essenes, Hashidim) in
particular, and Jewish in general.

I appreciate useful Dierk van den Berg's and Legers'
sharp input.

Reynaldo Martinez