Russell,

You write:

"   The alternative is that some unknown source (c. 400-1000 CE?)
> somehow discovered that the Essenes (c. 25 BCE, maybe 100 BCE)
originated with the Rechabites (c. 500 BCE)."

This is not a particularly fair-minded understanding of the
alternative.

Epiphanius quite clearly refers to the Rechabim priesthood as
existing during the time of James, the brother of Jesus.  I hardly
think it is necessary to delve back to 500 BCE for the "discovery"
to have been made.

Your almost excruciating scenario for how the Sudas "accidentally"
came to think the Rechabites had something to do with the Essenes
is too much like special pleading for me to think it is likely.  I'm not
going to say it isn't possible.  But it just doesn't seem probable.

George

For private reply, e-mail to George Brooks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>