Dear David Suter,

You are correct.  I did miss your response.  Thank you for taking
the time to re-send it.  My responses are below:

You write:
> The Rechabites as a priesthood seems unlikely.  They are more likely
> smiths (the meaning of the name Cain), with their customs to be
> explained by the demands of their trade rather than a nomadic
> background.

While this is conceivable, 1 Chron does specifically tell us that
Rechabite clans were Scribes too.  And the overlap between scribal
tasks and priestly tasks is more likely than an overlap between metal
work tasks and priestly tasks.

You write:
  The phrase "to stand before" can mean to serve as a
> priest, but it also has other meanings that it would help your argument
to eliminate (check a lexicon)..."

Could you provide an example of the use "stand before" as meaning
anything other than priestly service?  I will be happy to look at that.
But since I've never seen a case like that, I have no starting place.
I would certainly have to wonder what Jeremiah was talking about
if he was trying to say that there would always be a Rechabite
metalworker serving Yahweh.  Wouldn't you think that kind of odd?

You write:
"...and as far as the connection to Enoch is concerned, it doesn't work
linguistically (all Cain and Henoch have in common is the nun)."

I did not intend my comments to be interpreted that there was some
unusual phonetic connection between "Enoch" and "Cain".  My point
was a little more poetic than this.  Enoch is the eldest son of Cain,
and thus providing a context of meaning within the Enochian school
of Judaism.  What if the Enochian Jews saw that they had an unusual
relationship with Kenites in general, and Rechabites in particular?
Eisenman, in his JAMES THE BROTHER OF JESUS, states that
he sees the Rechabites as proto-Essenes.  And so does the Greek
text "Suidas".

You write:
"There is mention of metalworking in the Enoch
> literature, but it is one of the arts that the Watchers teach that
> corrupts humankind, not something taught by Enoch."

And yet, the lineage of Cain specifically implies that it was
Cain's family that introduced the arts of metalworking (and other
skills) to humanity.  Rather than simply dismiss the references in
Enoch as "contradictory" to the O.T., one might ponder if there
is the INTENTION of linking the Cainites/Kenites to these
personalities called The Watchers.

What is the Hebrew term used for the word WATCHERS?
I've heard it could it be a pun on the word Samaritan?  Do you
think this is possible?

You write:
  There was someone back in the 60's or so who published on the
Rechabites and the Dead  Sea Scrolls.  I can't supply you with the
reference at the moment, but you might want to check it out.

I've not heard of this reference from the 1960's.  Eisenman seems
to have spent the most time thinking about it.  But if you know
about another writer, I would be very interested in reading it.
Do you think you would be able to find your reference?

Thank you, David Suter.  For taking the time to provide your
thoughts on my scenario for the Enoch - Rechabite linkage.

George Brooks
Tampa, FL

For private reply, e-mail to George Brooks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>