Herb Basser wrote:

> thanks for the citation-- i now recall george had written me about this
> months ago and i saw the passage but forgot about it until geoff brought it
> tou our attention again. I'm not sure of all the Yalkut's sources here but
> here is what we find:
>
> yalkut Jeremiah preserves:  some say their daughters married priests and
> their grandchildren offered sacrifices--
>
>  this doesnt make rechabites priests at all--  lineage follows males.

And if I take the "some say" correctly, this passage also indicates that there
was some doubt that the claim itself (about daughters, etc.) is in any way
reliable.

If so, the "peg" upon which anyone might attempt to hang the thesis of a
Rechabite priesthood, let alone a long established one, becomes even weaker than
what you note it already is.

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson
--
Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
1500 W. Pratt Blvd.

For private reply, e-mail to "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>