Thanks to all who respondd to my query on Qumran Hebrew.
    A new question.  I'm trying to evaluate the hypothesis that the Essenes
of the Herodian era had a significant presence at Jericho.  It has been
suggested that criticisms directed against the "men of Jericho" at bTal Pes
55b ff, Men. 71a ff, dealing with various practices of agricultural workers,
may be directed against the Essenes; and I note that Dio Chrysostom
apparently refers to Jericho as the "blessed city of the Essenes".
    My question.  In 1957 Kathleen Kenyon wrote, "The Jericho of Herod the
Great was a mile and three-quarters to the south-west, where the Wadi Qelt
provides another source of water... In the Roman period the ancient mound
served as a burial ground.  A number of graves have been found of a curious
form, with the body in a recess cut along one side of the base of a
grave-like shaft, identical in type wuth those found at Qumran..." (Digging
Up Jericho, 264).  Does this interpretation still hold up?  That is, do the
Jericho graves unearthed in 1952-1956 have special affinities with those at
Qumran?

Best regards,
Russell Gmirkin
For private reply, e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]