-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On
Behalf Of Jeffrey B. Gibson
Sent: 28 May 2002 20:18
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: orion-list Jeremiah's Eternal Priesthood, the Rechabim

Jeffrey wrote about the Rechabite passage from Eusebius:

More accurate, I think, is the translation of  which renders the passage:

Thus they were stoning him, when one of the priests of the sons of Rechab, a
son
of the Rechabites, spoken of by Jeremiah the prophet, cried out
saying,'Cease,
what are you doing?

In other words, the text you refer to seems to say that while there were
priests
who were Rechabites, not all Recabites were -- or were even thought to be --
priests.
*****

The above posting and Herb's last posting have given me an idea.  Why does
the passage refer to one of the 'sons of Rechab', and then seemingly repeat
itself with its emphasis that the priest was 'a son of the Rechabites'?
This could imply that a 'son of Rechab' is not necessarily a descendant of
Rechab.  Was there a possibility that he could have been a priest who was a
Rechabite by practice only?  The idea that non-descendants could be
described as 'sons of Rechab' is very interesting to me at least. I can
think of at least two characters from NT times to whom the epithet could be
applied.  Josephus, a priest, is one (for at least a part of his life).  The
other even more interesting possibility is that non-priests could adopt the
Rechabite spirit-led lifestyle and become 'sons of Rechab'.

Geoff

For private reply, e-mail to "Geoff Hudson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>