Russell Gmirkin said:
"First, do I recall correctly that others have argued that more than one
skeleton in the main cemetery were female or possibly female?  Certainly
spindle whorls and fabric fragments at Qumran show a female presence at
the
site."

Having just read Women's work, the first 20,000 years, women, cloth, and
society in early times, by Elizabeth Wayland Barber, I am puzzled by
Russell's comments regarding "spindle whorls and fabric fragments at
Qumran" showing "a female presence at the site." Perhaps I am missing the
obvious, but could somebody please explain why "spindle whorls and fabric
fragments" are linked to "a female presence."

I am aware that women in the ancient world (and even now) are linked to
the production of fabric far more than men, but it is not an exclusive
link, so spindle whorls and fabric  fragments may tell us nothing about
the presence or otherwise of women at Qumran.

Matthew Hamilton
Moore Theological College Library
1 King St Newtown NSW 2042 Australia
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

For private reply, e-mail to "Mathew G. Hamilton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>