Dear Ian,

Shalom, in relation to your  June 10th posting (below) I would like to
clarify the following:

A. You write that denying public access to scrolls was the practice until
the 90's is not entirely accurate in that public access was only denied to
that which was unpublished material only. This is the norm in archaeology
designed to protect the interests of those working on the material however
once material has been published in any form whatsoever,  then public access
is granted. In my 25 years as a museum curator, access to anthropological
and other archaeological material was never denied to researchers as has
been done with some of the Qumran skeletal material.

B. As for Professor Natan's sexing of the material 'excavated' by Steckoll,
I have no problem with Natan's findings, the issue here is the weight that
one gives to material which was excavated by a journalist, lack of field
diaries, photos, ect, not to mention his lack of experience. Thus, the
material lacks any scientific value. Secondly, his selling of antiquities
from the site suggest that he was more interested in digging for grave goods
which could later be reold, which could be found in the Bedouin graves with
their jewelery, beads etc. His 'excavation' in the Kidron Valley Jeruslaem,
looking for treasures from the Copper Scroll appear to belie this assertion.
as well as sale of objects from the Qumran to a museum.

C. You mention that "Pliny is of no help" whereas you city Pliny in your
defense of Ein-Gedi. When is he accurate, reliable?

D. You mention that the water level of the Dead Sea was higher during Qumran
times, and use the Madaba map for proof. Very difficult to accept for the
following reasons
    1. Madaba map was made in the 6th century, 500 years after Qumran was
abandoned and we know that the level of the Dead Sea varies considerably
from time to time. The PEF showed that the water level of the Dead Sea was
tens of meters above Ain Feshka in the late 19th century.
    2. Today one can plainly see at the northern end of the Dead Sea  a
Roman fortress which could not have been built under water in the Roman
period.
    3. You cite reports on wood from the ramp in Masada showing that
rainfall was higher whereas the wood in the ramp came from the Hebron area
far to the west and ca 900 meters higher than Masada.

In short, the Dead Sea was far from the Qumran not close, as you suggest.

E. Over the past few weeks you argue in favor of the manor hypothesis and
write that "there is nothing at the site of Qumran to suggest ascetic
living"  In response I would argue the following
    1. Compare the pottery of Qumran, with that of wealthier sites, Masada,
Jericho, Caeseria...at Qumran it's basic, simple and boring, no foreign
wares, no diversity.
    2. Luxurious living in the style of a manor ?, where are the mosaics,
frescos, luxury goods? Wish to see luxury in the style of manorial living,
check out the Jewish Qtr. in Jerusalem.

F. As for terminology, Manual of Discipline, depends of one's source, seems
that there is no consensous Vermes uses Community Rule whereas Schuller in
1994 uses The Rule of the Congregation. Whatever one uses "'your suggestion
that it comes from Christian monasticism" may be wide of the mark as ther
term was coined by one or two Methodists decades ago. To my knowledge
Methodists are not associated with monasticism.

G. You state in your arguments that Qumran is not sectarian whereas you then
suggest that it may have been inhabited by Sadduccees. Are they not
sectarian?

H. You write that "if Qumran was Essene there would be children in the
cemetery" This is one of those areas whereby one has to have some knowledge
of phy. anthro.which is why some people may have trouble understanding the
arguments.  We know that the Essenes adopted children into their community
and  here lies the demographic bias as well as supporting my thesis that the
cem. is that of celibate males. When one looks at mortality data one sees
two peaks, one from birth to ca 10 years and then another one after and
during the 30's. If an individual makes it to 10-12 years then the chances
of dying in ones teens are slim, which explains the total lack of
individuals (except one I believe) in this category. Furthermore, we know
that 'men of ripe age' were in the community thus further proof that we are
dealing with adult, celibate males. The fact that one individual is 14, i.e
past Bar Matzva age when one becomes a man does not present any problem.

I. As for aqueducts requiring state or royal planning, true if it's a place
like Caeseria, but the one at Qumran would def. not require much of any
effort, it's simply a stone lined water channel dug in the ground. It's
about as low tech/no-tech as one can get. In fact the term aqueduct may be
inappropiate is it suggests, arches, monumental state construction,  all of
which are unnecessary in Qumran. It's simply a water channel coming down
from the hills.

J. If Qumran was a strategic military site as you state in the first century
BC, then why was it not fortified and why did Herod later not use is as a
military base?

K. As far as the scrolls in caves 7-9 which are in the site itself, remember
that Josephus wrote that 'neophytes had to swear that they would preserve
the books of the sect"

L. Josephus, wrote that the Essenes followed a way of life taught to the
Greek by Pythagoras (Ant. XV 371) Certain of these aspects, org. into
brotherhoods, community life and common property, modesty appear in the
arch. record of Qumran, part. the cemetery.

Lastly, this thread is getting too long and much of what I have said has
been said before, by myself and others, so I will 'retire' for a while from
further posting on this thread. You can have the last word. Hope that it may
have some value to you and others.

Joe
Science and Archaeology Group @ The Hebrew University

K.