Victory,

You write:
"1) What does Buffy the Vampire Slayer have to
do with DSS?"

I'll bite.... what DOES Buffy have to do with the DSS?

Your more serious question was:
2) Could you specify what yo mean by desire to use
a pun to turn "praise" into "shame".
Thanks, Victor
[END OF CLIP]

I'm sure you are familiar with some words and names
that have been amended to make the bible writer's
disapproval of someone fairly evident.

So it doesn't take too much imagination to think
that the Jerusalem leadership might not have wanted
to preserve the more "favorable" meaning of the word
Samaritan as "keeper" or "doer" [of the law].

While there is no obvious "shame" in the replacement
meaning "Watcher".... it does help to remove the "keeper/
doer" halo from the Samaritans.  Further, we see an
odd use of a word that is phonetically quite similar
to the term related to Samaritan:

08105 shemer {sheh'-mer}
from 08104; TWOT - 2415a; n m pl
AV - lees 4, dregs 1; 5
1) lees, dregs

Here we see "shemer" = "dregs".

But below, we have the adjacent Strong's word:

08104 shamar {shaw-mar'}
a primitive root; TWOT - 2414; v
AV - keep 283, observe 46, heed 35, keeper 28,
preserve 21, beware 9, mark 8, watchman 8, wait 7,
watch 7, regard 5, save 2, misc 9; 468
1) to keep, guard, observe, give heed
1a) (Qal)
1a1) to keep, have charge of
1a2) to keep, guard, keep watch and ward,
     protect, save life
1a2a) watch, watchman (participle)
1a3) to watch for, wait for
1a4) to watch, observe
1a5) to keep, retain, treasure up (in memory)
1a6) to keep (within bounds), restrain
1a7) to observe, celebrate, keep (sabbath or
covenant or commands), perform (vow)
1a8) to keep, preserve, protect
1a9) to keep, reserve
1b) (Niphal)
1b1) to be on one's guard, take heed,
take care, beware
1b2) to keep oneself, refrain, abstain
1b3) to be kept, be guarded
1c) (Piel) to keep, pay heed
1d) (Hithpael) to keep oneself from
[END OF CLIP]

As you can see, this word follows quite closely
to the idea of "keeping" and "preserving".

I'm trying to find a concise reference to the
difference of opinion between the Jews and Samaritans
on how their name was TRULY derived.

But in terms of the Enochian "watchers".... it seems
hard to avoid the "pun" of connecting the wicked and
unpopular angels (called Watchers)... to the wicked
and unpopular Samaritans (called Watchers, Keepers,
and so on).

George

[SIDE NOTE]
I found it interesting that there was another word
that is ALSO connected to idea of "keeping" or
"preserving":

05341 natsar {naw-tsar'}
a primitive root; TWOT - 1407; v
AV - keep 38, preserve 13, watchmen 3,
besieged 2, keeper 1, monuments 1,
observe + 07521 1, preserver 1, subtil 1,
hidden things 1, watchers 1; 63
1) to guard, watch, watch over, keep
1a) (Qal)
1a1) to watch, guard, keep
1a2) to preserve, guard from dangers
1a3) to keep, observe, guard with fidelity
1a4) to guard, keep secret
1a5) to be kept close, be blockaded
1a6) watchman (participle)

I find it more than passingly interesting that this
word should be so phonetically similar to another
term that gets thrown around alot:

05342 netser {nay'-tser}
from 05341
TWOT - 1408a; n m
AV - branch 4; 4
1) sprout, shoot, branch (always fig.)

For private reply, e-mail to George Brooks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>