Ian H says:

>>The conversation was about the limit of the sea level
based on the location of Ein Feshka during the Qumran
period. I can't see how hypothetical crevices, passes,
caves, etc., have any bearing on the local topography so as
to render irrelevant the altitude of Ein Feshka as a
limiting factor for the height of the sea at the time.
Perhaps you could explain.<<

I think you missed Rochelle's point. It seemed quite clear
to me that she was suggesting that earthquake activity, even
slight, could change the physical features in the mountain
range above the Dead Sea, thus affecting the amount of
runoff water to flow into it. I took this to mean that a
change that diverted more water into the lake than had been
the case beforehand could raise the water level
significantly. "Significant" is as little as a few feet. A
change of just 1 foot can, depending on the slope of the
terrain, move a coastline many many times that difference in
feet.

On the other hand, wasn't the facility at Ein Feshka built
to take advantage of a mineral spring? If so, its location
may have nothing to do with coastline location at the time
it was built.

How far from the current shore *are* the Qumran and Ein
Feshka facilities, and what are the relative slopes of the
terrain between these facilities and the current shoreline?
I recall seeing photos on the net that were accompanied by
commentary that suggested that significant changes in the
lake's shape had occurred, in both directions.

Respectfully,

Dave Hindley
Cleveland, Ohio, USA

For private reply, e-mail to "David C. Hindley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>