Tyler,

I couldn't send this privately because I do not have your address and HUJ
has finally upgraded to the point that you need the latest equipment to
get farther on ORION than the home page... with an estimated 35 million
older computers still in use out there. Ah, well. In any case, in checking
my "wish list" of works I want to read, I found back:

   Yasin Dutton: 'Red Dots, Green Dots, Yellow Dots and Blue: Some
       Reflections on the Vocalisation of Early Qur'anic Manuscripts'
       in _Journal of Qur'anic Studies_, Vol. 2, Winter, 2000.

The Christian use of colors would supply ample reasons for the prohibition
of the use of color in sacred texts in the _later_ Jewish tradition. However,
when added to Robertson on color in Assyrian and Ugaritic texts, the DSS,
and the much later Moslem docs, we have strong evidence for the continuity
of the use of colors in Semitic sacred docs right on down the centuries.

Ancient docs contain so much more than words that it is impossible for our
modern "blinkers" trained reading to see these things in one pass -- even
when you know about it and even when you know about the way they would
"double up" on functions. While I can't be certain until I can read the
article, just the title suggests that color functions as both a musical
notation system AND a grammatical punctuation system (which follows the
Phoenician point system -- that dates to before 1000 BCE.)

There is a definite possiblity that, in those scrolls with words in red
ink, we are seeing a doubled use: musical AND xenographic exchange. I
also suspect that these were training texts... docs used to train leaders
of choirs, services, etc. So, in one sense "liturgical."

This may be frail reed for you, but still something...

Rochelle

PS: Yes, we do have examples of training texts of various sorts from as far
back as 3100 BCE... in fact, one set of Sumerian tablets, rather than being
"primitive," is a cleverly designed primer, a species of "Dick and Jane" --
with sentences ranging from the equivalent of "See, Dick, run." to "Run, Dick,
run Jane, run Spot. Run and play." to "Dick and Jane went out with Spot to
run and play."
--
Dr. R.I.S. Altman, co-coordinator, IOUDAIOS-L [EMAIL PROTECTED]

For private reply, e-mail to "Rochelle I. Altman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>